Calvin Lantz is a partner and head of the Municipal & Land Use Group in the Toronto Real Estate Department of Stikeman Elliott.
Calvin is a Certified Specialist in Municipal Law (Land Use Planning and Development) by the Law Society of Upper Canada. He appears before administrative Boards and approval bodies and agencies, including Local Planning Appeal Tribunal (formerly the Ontario Municipal Board), Committees of Adjustment, Land Division Committees, various Municipal Councils and Committees.
Calvin represents a broad range of residential, commercial, industrial and institutional clients. He secures municipal approvals for official plan and zoning by-law amendments, consents to sever lands, minor variances, subdivision and site plan approvals, condominium conversions, building and demolition permits, and other related municipal and provincial approvals that are necessary for land development.
As a municipal and land use planning lawyer, Calvin:
• Strategizes and leads teams of development approval professionals (e.g. architects, land use planners, engineers, etc.)
• Negotiates with senior municipal staff and politicians, government agencies and land owners
• Provides legal opinions on a broad range of municipal issues, zoning by-laws and land use policies and prepares land use planning instruments (e.g. Official Plan Amendments, Zoning By-law Amendment, etc.)
• Negotiates municipal and development agreements, including section 37 agreements, subdivision and site plan approval agreements, heritage easement agreements and agreements with Conservations Authorities
• Chambers Canada 2019 as a leading lawyer in Real Estate: Zoning/Land Use - Ontario.
• The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory 2016 as a leading lawyer in Property Development Law.
• The Best Lawyers in Canada 2019 in Municipal and Real Estate.
• Lexpert/ROB Special Edition: Canada’s Leading Infrastructure Lawyers, September 2016.